The risk in cutting corners in software deliveries
We have all been on a project or two, where the delivery date was fixed in time, due to dependant companies, public launch announcements. Now hopefully those dates are planned around the work that needs to be done, with at least some buffer room for the eventual things that can go wrong.
I have over the past couple of years had the privilege of working with some wonderful companies. I like to think myself a lucky person as each and every one of those companies had decidedly different views and approaches to taking care of its employees. I came across this article on the New Yorker, and it make me stop and think about my experiences. I decided that I would share those here, and my options about them. Continue reading “The Open Office Layout”
I have been looking around for quick and easy ways for deploying website content from our version control system, without having a build process ( the site is ninety nine percent static html and has nothing to build ). The only aspects that are interesting from a build process is a minifying resources and less compilation.
I have seen a few posts around the web suggesting a git post-receive hook. The idea of pushing the desired codebase to the desired server is desired, is in fact quite appealing. I have worked a lot in the past with solutions such as Jenkins, that work great for build solutions, but seemed like overkill for this context. Continue reading “Deploying websites with a git post-receive hook”
I recently got back into doing some android development. Its been an adjustment period to say the least. One of those adjustments has been the slight differences of working on a Mac. I came across a bug today, that baffled me for a while and required some of my best “google-fu” to figure out.
An interesting article came through my news feeds today, something that I’ve been too busy to really notice. This isn’t something new, just an update to a platform google released about 18 months ago now, but I’ve not even noticed. It’s called Google Panda. You think I am trying to be funny, or joke around, but this is a serious project, aimed at improving google’s search results for everyone. It was named by the engineer that initially worked on it, and it is a query filter.
Google Panda, was initially released on February 24th 2011, in an effort to improve the quality of search results by removing “thin” content. There are companies out there, that will generate content ( for a price ) that matches certain keywords, to increase your site’s traffic.
I made a simple but effective ( for me ) discovery this week-end. I’d been ripping some of my DVD’s with Handbrake ( so that i can put the physical DVD in storage, and clear some room ), and was uploading the m4v ( default settings in Handbrake ) to my DLink NAS ( model 321 ).
Unfortunately, the only way i could see the movies, was via a samba share. The TV couldn’t see the movies (but had no problem seeing the NAS ).
The solution is simple, rename the m4v file extensions to mp4.
For those of you that are here regularly, you’ve probably noticed that i haven’t written much in the last couple of week, I’ve kinda been busy with other things. I’ve got another post in the works ( describing the situation ) but i first wanted to write about my new job, and the reasons i left the last one. Continue reading “New Job”